The COVID-19 pandemic has caused many older adults and their loved ones to rethink their living arrangements. In particular, a shift back home again to a personal residence from a nursing home or long-term care facility has become an increasingly popular decision. If a senior you love is considering transitioning home from facility care, consider the following:
- Where will home be? Is your loved one’s former residence still a viable (and safe) option? Or would it be better for the senior to move in with you or another family member? Safety is paramount for older adults, but being able to maintain independence is an equally important factor to consider.
- Are any home modifications needed? Take a walk through the home from the perspective of an older adult. Think through logistics such as:
- The safest and most convenient location for the senior’s bedroom
- Whether there is sufficient lighting throughout the home
- If handrails are in place on both sides of stairways
- If grab bars need to be installed in the bathroom
- What safety hazards need to be corrected – such as throw rugs, low tables and other furniture, any clutter blocking walking paths, etc.
- The need for a ramp for wheelchair access into the home, widening of any doorways as appropriate, and any other accessibility modifications
- Will someone be available to help the senior? If he or she will be living alone, consider what technology may be beneficial, such as an emergency alert pendant so the senior can call for help when needed. If the older person will be living with family members, will he or she be safe when the adults in the home are at work or tending to other commitments?
SYNERGY HomeCare, the leading provider of at home care in Chicago, IL, can ease concerns about transitioning to a personal residence from a long-term care facility, making the process as smooth and comfortable as possible.
Our skilled, experienced, and compassionate caregivers can help through:
- Getting seniors settled back in at home
- Picking up groceries and ensuring there are plenty of healthy food choices available in the home
- Planning and preparing healthy meals
- Taking care of light housekeeping and laundry chores
- Providing friendly companionship to alleviate loneliness and boredom
- Offering respite care while family caregivers are working or taking time for themselves
- Assisting with personal care
- And many other services
Reach out to SYNERGY HomeCare, the top provider of personal care services in Chicago, at (773) 868-3183 to find answers to your questions about our customized in-home care services for seniors and to schedule your free in-home assessment.